Strawberry and Cream Cheese King Cake
This spin on the traditional King Cake will add fruity freshness to your kingcake. The cream cheese filling adds a a delicious creaminess to your cake. The cream cheese filling should be thick, not runny. Use fresh strawberries to make sure your king cake is truly king! Make sure you tuck a small prize, such as a plastic baby underneth the cake after it bakes. Top off your king cake with purple, green, and gold
sugar or sprinkles to make it look authentic!
King Cake Recipe
Ingredients for the Strawberry Cream Cheese King Cake Recipe
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup melted butter
2 (.25 ounce) packets active dry yeast
2/3 cup warm water (About 110 degrees F or 45 degrees C)
1/2 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 blocks (12 ounces) cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons strawberry preserves
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1 small plastic baby or bead (This will be tucked in the King Cake after it bakes.)
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2/3 cup melted butter or margarine
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3-6 Tbsp hot water
Purple, Green, and Yellow sugar crystals for decoration (You can also mix food coloring with regular white sugar, and let it dry.)
Directions for Cream Cheese King Cake
1. Heat milk until it is steaming, not boiling. Immediately remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup of melted butter. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, dissolve the 2 packets of yeast in the warm water with 1 tablespoon of the white sugar. Let stand about 10 minutes. The mixture will look slightly creamy and begin bubbling.
2. When yeast mixture starts bubbling, add the cooled milk mixture. Whisk in the eggs. Stir in the remaining white sugar, nutmeg, and salt. Beat the flour into the milk/egg mixture about one cup at a time. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic and smooth. This will take about 10 minutes.
3. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume. This will take 2-3 hours. When the kingcake dough has doubled in size, turn out on a lightly floured surface, and punch the dough down to remove air. Divide the dough in half.
1. Mix the softened cream cheese with the strawberry preserves. Set aside.
2. On a floured surface, roll dough halves out into large rectangles (about 10x15 inches). Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the rectangles. Sprinkle the sliced strawberries evenly on top of the cream cheese mixture.
3. Roll up each half of dough tightly, beginning at the wide side. Bring the ends of each roll together to form 2 oval shaped rings. Place each ring on a prepared cookie sheet. With scissors, make cuts about 1/4 of the way through the rings at 1 inch intervals. Let the Strawberry kingcakes sit and rise in a warm spot until they double in size. This will take about 30-45 minutes.
4. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F, or 190 degrees C.
5. Bake king cakes in preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes.
1. While the king cake is baking, mix powdered sugar, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Add hot water, one tablespoon at a time, until you reach the desired consistency.
2. When you take the cake out of the oven, push the small plastic doll or bead into the bottom of the cake.
3. Frost while warm.
4. Finish with sprinkles of purple, green, and yellow
sugar crystals for a real New Orleans Mardi Gras look.
How did you like this Recipe?
YUM! Thank you so much for this recipe. I will definitely be making this for my friends for Mardi Gras.
This recipe was great, but took a while to make. Next time, I may just order one online and have it shipped.
My favorite King Cake.... EVER!
The strawberry cream cheese filling was so good, and so EASY! I would have never thought to make it that way.
Delicious! The filling really keeps the cake moist.
Rate our King Cake Recipe
We would really appreciate your feedback on our king cake recipes. Please use the feedback form
to tell us what you think. Scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best) and please share your comments based on your own personal experiences with our kingcake recipes.
Awesome RecipeI love your recipes! The Traditional King Cake is my favorite, and it was a HUGE hit with my kids.